Monday, October 7, 2019

Just Sayin' - Notes from the Farm


This is not a small trailer.  What a lot of hay to waste!

It's difficult to get a job done when a certain young squirt keeps destroying what you are trying to do.  The hay I wrapped a week or so ago (see previous post) has been destroyed!  Fredinand the bull tore the middle out of the roll.  Of course, that means the hay was being trampled all over the ground, and worse, by Ferdinand, Belle and their bull calf T-Bone.  I decided to rake the hay and toss it back in the makeshift rack.  That worked for about a day or so, until I was tossing the hay and got irritated because T-Bone was running and literally jumping onto the four foot stack of nicely raked hay -- while I was still raking it.  Grumble... laugh... sigh... The next day I hitched up the trailer, threw on the hay, and moved it out of the pasture.  I fixed that problem.  Typical stuff if you have animals around!  

Saturday morning I took hay out to Ferdie's crew, and as I was pitching it off the trailer, Ferdie acted like he was challenging my truck!  He was in front of the truck, facing it full on, head (and, therefore, horns!) lowered, pawing the ground.  I was fast about chasing him away.  I haven't had my truck for long, and I like it just as it is.

The weather changed over the weekend, and the animals felt it a few hours before I did (by changing, I mean temps dropped from 99° down to around 90°). I turned around from my work and saw Rudy the horse, Lulu the year old calf, and T-Bone the baby, all running together around the pasture.  On the other side of the fence, keeping pace with them, was Lulu and T-Bone's mother, Belle.  What a sight!  Made for a nice break.

No comments:

Herd Reduction Sale 2020

We have too much of a good thing!  It's always sad to see any of our animals go, but we would like to sell some of our "original&q...